Thursday, January 22, 2015

Three Ordinary Olives




#036

Can you tell that this is a small cocktail fork? These are also very small salad olives. I like the larger olives - especially the ones stuffed with blue cheese or jalapenos, or better yet, the Calamata type from the olive bar at the grocery store. I didn't have any of those... I guess I ate them, or they ended up in a Bloody Mary somewhere along the line. The good ones are always the first to go.

I actually tried painting this from a photo today, leaving my props set-up for an occasional referral. I'm glad I did because the olives dried up quickly and weren't as shiny. So besides being ordinary, they were also dull! ha!

Steps I took, below...

Step 1:  Sketched it in, paying
attention to value, and
double checking
composition.
Step 2:  Grabbed my greens
and tried to catch the
swirling motion in the
silverware.
Step 3:  Filled in my color, making sure
not to lose my drawing. Saved shadows
and highlights until the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment